Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Let's Try This Again!

Well it looks like my idea of blogging everyday has not happened. :/  Once I get into teacher mode, I forget about everything else!  It's getting to be that time and I am very excited for what this new school year has in store for me!  
A few of my co-workers and I have been doing a book discussion on Jan Richardson's Guided Reading: The Next Step, which most of us bought last year to help us launch guided reading in our rooms.  We work at a private school so the push for guided reading is not like it is in public schools.  I can't wait to start another year of assessing and grouping and watching my guys grow as readers.
I am also excited to be launching reading workshop in my room.  I have played around with my reading block for many years and have not really liked any of them.  I tried centers two years ago, and did my own version of a workshop where students participated in workstations. That went pretty well, but I didn't feel like my students were involved in authentic reading activities.  So after MUCH research and reading (thanks to Grace! I don't think any of this would have been possible or would have happened if she wasn't there telling me all about her ideas) I have decided on trying a reading workshop, where the students....READ!  The ENTIRE time!! I have gotten many ideas from Beth Newingham, Debbie Miller, Kathy Collins, and multiple blogs that I feel prepared and ready!
Right now I am working on my September long range goals.  It's very hard deciding what to teach first.  Do I want to introduce partner reading first thing?  Or do I want to wait?  Some many decisions!!!  And seeing that it's 11:23 PM on a Tuesday night, you can tell my teaching life is beginning to consume my regular life...
I hope to be back soon to post about my classroom and to share my ideas, ramblings, things that were great, things you shouldn't try, and so on.
Happy Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment